Buy Straight From The Auction
Kenya Car Bazaar Ltd. provides the most informed and reliable importing service for imports to Kenya and the Landlocked East African countries. With our knowledge of the import process and access to over 150,000 cars at major Japanese auction sites each week, we are strategically positioned to source the best car for you.
Importing Japanese Used Cars to Kenya from Japan
The process is simple and typically involves the following steps.
- Once you are ready to go ahead we will require a US$ 2,500 deposit or 50% CIF Value of the selected car. We will then get all the necessary details concerning the vehicles you are looking for e.g colour, kilometers and options as well as your budget and begin searching for cars that fit your description.
- When appropriate vehicles are found we will send you photos and a full description. If the vehicle is at auction we will also give you a translation of the auction sheet as well as the start price and expected sale price. We will then provide you with a first hand description of the vehicle from auction. With this information you can decide if you’d like to bid and up to how much. Please note that we will never bid on a car for you without your full approval and designated budget. Ultimately the decision is yours and we will do our best to find you a car that closely matches your ideal vehicle.
- Once your vehicle is purchased an invoice will be emailed to you within 24 hours. A full set of photos will be sent once the car hits our holding yard; usually 3-4 days after purchase. You will then be required to pay the FOB price (ex Japan) directly into our Japanese company bank account within one working day. All paperwork necessary for export will be arranged and the car will be transported to the wharf for shipping to Mombasa, Kenya. Cars are put on the first available ship, usually 10-15 days after purchase.
The entire process takes 4-6 weeks from date of purchase.
How much does it cost to import a car?
- Shipping: US$ 1,000 - US$ 1,500 depending on Size of the Vehicle.
- Duties and Taxes Payable are as follows:-
- Import duty at 25%,
- Import duty is 25% of the Customs value (CIF) of the vehicle i.e. 25% of (Invoice value + Insurance + Freight charges)
- Excise duty at 20%
- Excise duty is 20% of (Customs Value + Import Duty)
- VAT at 16% are payable cumulatively and in that order.
- VAT is 16% of (Customs Value + Import Duty + Excise Duty)
- Import duty at 25%,
Laws and Regulations
- Age Limit: Vehicles manufactured before the year 2003 are not allowed for importation into Kenya.
- Left Hand Drive Vehicles: All left hand drive vehicles are not allowed for registration unless they have a special purpose e.g. Ambulances etc
- Road Worthiness: All used vehicles imported into Kenya must be inspected to ensure road worthiness, safety and other requirements.
- JEVIC CAR INSPECTION: All Vehicles exported to Kenya will need to have a JEVIC CAR INSPECTION Certificate.
- The cost of the inspection is US$ 300.
Posted in: Auction Buys