NTSA begins crackdown on expired foreign car number plates


The National Transport and Safety Authority has begun a crackdown on motorist driving around with expired foreign plate permits. This follows ongoing plans by the authority to introduce an electronic chip sticker effective October 1 to allow secure identification and authentication of vehicle ownership.

“Foreign permits are only valid for 90 days from the date of issue. Individuals with expired permits are required to regularize them with the KRA customs department at the boarder point,” read the authority’s statement sent to the press yesterday.

Speaking to the Star, the safety authority director general Francis Mejja said they have noted an influx in the number of vehicles with foreign registrations and are thus interested to know if the cars are legally in the country.

The points of entry and exit are Lunga Lunga, Taveta, Namanga, Isebania, Busia, Malaba, Mandera, Moyale, Liboi, Keekorok, Oloitokitok, Lwakhakha, Kilindini, Lamu and Lokichogio.

The permits, normally issued by NTSA, include the foreign private vehicle permit and the foreign commercial, public service or trailer permit. Both permits cost between Sh2167.83 and Sh. 10427.02 for a period of seven days and three months respectively.

According to a source from the Kenya Revenue Authority, most vehicles come into the country and on receiving the permit for the first seven days, they do not renew their permits hence breaking the law. In August 2016, the taxman impounded over 30 vehicles with expired foreign plate permits, with most coming from neighbouring Uganda and Tanzania.

According to the authorization permit, all motor vehicles imported on temporary basis for the use and convenience of the importer either from the neighboring states must have a valid form, C44A, and a foreign motor vehicle permit both specifying the period of stay in the country.

In the case of a private vehicle, the licensing officer may issue to the applicant free of charge, an authorization permit in the prescribed form valid for a period of seven days.

For a foreign commercial or public service vehicle in respect of which there is not in force an international certificate or carrier licence, the licensing officer may, on payment of the prescribed fee, issue in respect of the vehicle, an authorization permit in the prescribed form valid for a period not exceeding 30 days but renewable on expiry for an aggregate period not exceeding 12 months from the date of entry into the country.

What Are Your Thoughts

Share with us what you think about this article


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here