Matatu operators in Nakuru threaten to resume operations in CBD

0
31
A show down is looming between Matatu operators and Nakuru County Government after they threatened to resume operations in the CBD terminus.

Matatu operators through their leaders claim they have obtained a court order allowing them to resume operations within the town`s central business district pending the hearing and determination of a case between them and the County Government over relocation to an alternative terminus.

Chairman Steve Muli argues that the court order which was served to the County Attorney last week came into force immediately and a breach of the order is tantamount to contempt of court.

The court order also restrains the County Government of Nakuru from establishing a new terminus along the Nakuru Railways grounds.

Speaking at a thanksgiving service at Metro Church International in Nakuru, Muli said operators and members of the public relying on public service vehicles are going through untold suffering, 10 months after the County Government re-allocated the bus terminus, a move Governor Lee Kinyanjui said was meant to decongest the town amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Muli said the re-allocation was not matched with the basic amenities and this has consigned operators to loss of business, depression and reduced quality of life.

However, in a statement to media houses last week Governor Lee Kinyanjui said his office had not received the court and the County Government will therefore proceed with the construction of the new bus park.

He reiterated that no public service vehicle will be allowed in the Central Business District.

Nakuru Town Service Chairman Joseph Njoroge lamented the deplorable state of the current terminus saying they had put operators out of business.

He said passengers are avoiding the current terminus due to lack of water and toilets and are far flung from the Central Business District –the epicenter of business.

Chairman to Nakuru Hawkers Association Simon Sankale accused the county Government of being insensitive to small businesses in Nakuru town depending on the matatu sub sector.

Sankale noted that many such businesses had collapsed and some people who had loans have since been liquidated.

In another twist, the Directorate of criminal investigation in Nakuru has since summoned Matatu Saccos officials over claims of distributing a a fake court order.

Police are keen on establishing the authenticity of the document that officials widely distributed among members and citizens last Friday.

Forceful attempts by the operators to return to their termini within the CBD in recent months have been met with stiff resistance from the police.

SOURCE: https://www.kbc.co.ke/matatu-operators-in-nakuru-threaten-to-resume-operations-in-cbd/

What Are Your Thoughts

Share with us what you think about this article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here