Returning resident: A person changing residence from a place outside Kenya to a place within Kenya where that person has been residing outside Kenya for a period of at least two years and has not resided in Kenya for a period(s) amounting in aggregate to ninety days or more within the two years immediately before this return to Kenya.
Firstly, the regulations for importing cars to Kenya still apply hence it still has to meet the 8 year age limit rule set by the Government; they would still need their vehicles inspected by QISJ/JEVIC and the vehicle should not be LHD. Please read more on “The Rules and Regulations for on Car Importation / Exportation to Kenya.“
A returning resident may import one exempt motor vehicle “(excluding buses and minibuses of seating capacity of more than 13 passengers and load carrying capacity not exceeding two tonnes)” Provided that:
- The person must have attained the age of 18 years
- The vehicle is registered in his/her name for a period of at least 365 days excluding the shipment period.
- The vehicle should arrive within 90 days of the owners arrival
- The owner must have stayed in the foreign country for more then two years
- Within the two years that the owner has been away, they ought not to have made a visit and stayed in Kenya for a period exceeding in aggregate of 90 days. Hence if you travelled in 2009 for 60 days and then travelled in 2010 for a 60 days – in total those are 120 days and hence if this was within the past two years from when you were returning you would not meet the requirements.
- KRA Pin Certificate
- Vehicle Log book
- Bill of Lading
- Pre Inspection Certificate
- Original passport
KRA recently published an article in the Daily Nation with respect to vehicles imported by returning residents. Please see below;
For further information on duty exemption, click here
For further assistance in car importation to Kenya, feel free to Contact Us.