Importation of Duty Free cars into Kenya
- The importer should have attained the age of 18 years.
- The importer should have resided outside Kenya for at least 2 years
- The importers should not have resided in Kenya for 90 days or more within the 2 years before returning to Kenya
- The motor vehicle should be imported within 90 days from the importer’s arrival
- The motor vehicle should be personally owned and registered in the importer’s name or spouse’s name
- The importer should have used the motor vehicle to be imported for at least twelve months prior to the importation
- The motor vehicle should meet the Kenya standard code of practice for inspection of road vehicles ( KS 1515 : 2000 – code): The motor vehicle should not be over 8 years old, the motor vehicle should be a right-hand drive except for special purpose vehicles.
Temporary Importation of Duty Free cars into Kenya
(Non Kenyan Residents wishing to use personal vehicle)
- The motor vehicle owner is exempt from liability to Import Duty
- The motor vehicle owner is to deposit given security for the amount of import duty payable on the vehicle.
- The motor vehicle owner is to submit temporary importation papers (Carnet de Passage en Douane)
- A pass sheet or any other similar importation documents issued under guarantee of an authorized association in respect of the motor vehicle.
- Motor vehicles should be re-exported within such a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of importation.
What Are Your Thoughts
Share with us what you think about this article